Menu

Title

Subtitle

Why Should You Remove Mold From Your Home?

A mold infested house is the last place anyone wants to live. Mold, whether living or dead, can be very dangerous to one's health. Mild reactions can include nasal congestion, a sore throat and red eyes but mold is often is to blame for much more serious health issues like chronic skin eczema and asthma. Protracted exposure to mold can even cause some people to become allergic to mold itself! Although there are some folks who have no reaction to mold at all, it can still be quite unsafe and every precaution should be taken to make sure it doesn't get a foothold in your house. While it is advisable for all people to have minimal exposure to mold, families which include the elderly, children or pregnant women should stay vigilant about preventing mold growth.

So, how can you detect mold in your house? First, the smell of mold is quite unmistakable as the aroma is distinctly musty. Ceilings and walls are a good place to check first when trying to ascertain if you have mold. Look carefully: mold comes in diverse colors with some types appearing green and others which look gray or black. It can also have a furry or fuzzy appearance. If what does harmless black mold look like detect black mold in your residence, it is crucial to destroy it as quickly as possible. Black mold is said to be the most unhealthy and toxic of all the types of mold. Finally, mold can be found in many different places like wood, walls and ceilings. It should be noted that a moist environment creates the perfect conditions for mold expansion so if an area of your house has endured water damage that was not cleaned and dried well, it's a safe bet that mold has taken hold there.

The best approach to mold eradication is precluding its growth in the first place. Inhibiting moisture and cleaning frequently is extremely important. To avoid mold emergence, keep your countertops and all your household items as dry as possible. In the absence of a moist environment in which to develop, mold is very preventable.

If a house is currently infested, it can be eliminated by using a few different methods. A careful examination along with scrupulous cleaning when it is found are necessary if you are to rid your house of mold. For removal from non-porous surfaces like glass, hard plastic and painted surfaces, you can simply mix a 2:1 solution of water and bleach or you can purchase a specially formulated mold removal cleaning product from your local hardware store. Soft or porous material like carpet, fabric furniture and similar items are much more difficult to clean and, when possible, should be removed from your home as the mold spores they contain can quite easily repopulate in other areas of your house. Once the mold has been killed with your chosen solution, you must rinse the cleaning solution completely and dry the area thoroughly. You should repeat this procedure in every area where mold is found. If mold has propagated in the house and occupies many locations, it might be advisable to call a professional mold removal company. The company will examine the entire structure and efficiently and completely remove the mold.

Go Back

Comment

Blog Search

Blog Archive

Comments

There are currently no blog comments.